WARNING: In order to use the EASYLABEL Multi-User, clients MUST be running the Microsoft TCP/IP protocol. DO NOT attempt to install this software if the clients are using the Novell
NetWare TCP/IP protocol. All computers used with the EASYLABEL Multi-User version (the server and all client machines) must have the Microsoft TCP/IP protocol installed and configured correctly. Microsoft TCP/IP is the protocol used by the license management software to communicate between the client machines and the license server.
If you purchased the Multi-user license version of EASYLABEL, you should have received a CD-ROM and a Multi-User WIBU Key.
The general steps to install the EASYLABEL Multi-User software are as follows:
***** NOTE *****
All of the these software installation steps can be performed by following the appropriate menus from the « autorun » screen that displays when the CD-ROM is inserted. These steps are listed here to give you a more « behind-the-scenes » look at what is involved.
When installing be sure installer is signed on as ADMINISTRATOR and ALL background programs are shut down especially any anti-virus software.
- Select a computer that will be the WIBU Key server. This computer must be running Windows XP or later. Ensure the Date is correctly set on the potential server computer. In order to serve licenses to other computers on the network, the computer selected, as the WIBU key server must be running and have the WIBU key network server application loaded. In general, you should select a computer (perhaps your network server) that remains powered on, and is not generally used for other applications.
- Install the WIBU key network server application on the PC selected to be the WIBU key server. Run the SETUP program from the ‘wibuserv’ folder on the CD-ROM. If you use the « autorun » installation screens and choose ‘install license server’ option, this step is performed automatically. The client computers DO NOT need these server drivers; this is for the WIBU key server only. Re-boot the server machine after installing the drivers.
- Plug the Multi-User WIBU key into a parallel or USB port on the selected computer. The WIBU key contains a code that defines the number of users allowed to run the EASYLABEL Multi-User application.
- Once the WIBU key server is installed, nothing further needs done with it. The license server software will start up anytime the computer is restarted. If for any reason it does not, you can simply start the server manually each time the PC is booted through the Programs menu.
- The next step is to install the client version of the EASYLABEL Multi-User software on the selected client computers. This can be installed on as many computers as needed, the license server will make sure that the number of copies running does not exceed the licensed user count. If there are no more licenses available, the user will be notified, and EASYLABEL will not start. For example, if you have a 5-user license, and EASYLABEL Multi-User is installed on 8 computers, only 5 of them can use the application at one time. If a user exits EASYLABEL Multi-User, then the license becomes available to another user.
- If the license server computer is running either Windows 95 or Windows 98, and a screen saver program is enabled, the screen saver may interfere with the license server program. You can prevent this by modifying the « shortcut » for the license server program. Edit the Target field of the shortcut and add -b to the end of the line (after the ending « ). You will have to reboot the server for this to take effect. This causes the server to run in the background as a service. You will no longer see the server in the taskbar.
- When a user starts the EASYLABEL Multi-User application, the license server will « give » that copy a license to run. When the application exits, it « gives » the license back to the server. In the case where a client computer crashes, or the user powers off the computer without properly shutting down, the license server recognizes this fact and will take back the license (after a timeout period, currently set to 5 minutes).
- If for some reason, the server crashes, or the multi-user key stops working; the client computers will recognize this and issue a warning message. There is a built in protection period (currently set to 7 days) where the clients will continue to run without contact with the license server. This requires that the client computers not be shut down or powered off during the 7-day period. The message issued to the users indicates that they should contact their system administrator to correct the problem. If the server is restarted, then clients will continue to run normally. If for some reason, the server cannot be restarted within 7 days, then the EASYLABEL application issues a warning and then exits (saving any work in progress). Again, if the server is restarted, all clients will operate normally and no more warnings will be issued.
- To install the license server on a new computer, simply repeat the steps used during the initial installation of the license server software. Remember to move the Multi-User Key to the new computer.
- It is recommended that you DO NOT install the EASYLABEL Multi-User version on a computer that already has the standalone EASYLABEL Platinum version installed. The reason is that both will try to register as ActiveX servers for the EASYLABEL ActiveX objects. This may cause problems with any ActiveX client applications that use the EASYLABEL ActiveX objects. The EASYLABEL Multi-User version can co-exist with the Gold or Silver versions. If you intend to have Gold or Silver installed along with EASYLABEL Multi-User Client you should install the Multi-User Client LAST.
- If a Client is not able to find a valid license then select Settings –> Control Panel from the start menu. Double-click on the WIBU-Key Icon in Control Panel and then select the Network Tab. Under the WkLAN Server Search List at the bottom, try to browse to your server. If this fails to find your server, you may have to enter the server’s Machine Name/Static IP Address in the lower entry and then click ADD to add it to your WkLAN Server Search List.
- The WIBU drivers are in the WIBU folder on the CD-ROM in case the drivers need to be manually installed. Run WkRt-Int.exe to install the drivers manually.